Let’s talk about getting a good night’s rest. It’s so important to our bodies. We all know that lack of sleep can make you groggy and cranky. What you may not know is that there are other effects to the body if you don’t get enough sleep such as causing accidents, serious health issues like heart attack and high blood pressure, it can cause depression and decrease libido (more negative effects here). Many of us struggle with interrupted or light sleep – so what can we do? Let’s talk about a few ways to help you get better, more restful sleep.
- Turn off your devices. The Sleep Foundation suggests turning off your devices two hours before bed, but even 30 minutes to an hour before bed is good. Allow your eyes to not be looking at the blue light for a period of time so that your body can produce melatonin. You might even consider some glasses to help block the blue light.
- Create a nighttime routine. This could be taking a relaxing bath, massaging your feet with lavender lotion or using a luxurious face mask.
- Use some essential oils in the bedroom. Some of our favorites are Lavender, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Peace & Calming, Angelica, or Roman Chamomile. You can use them alone or make your own custom blend. My personal favorite Sleepy Blend is equal parts of Lavender, Frankincense and Bergamot in my diffuser.
Other great sleep recipes for your diffuser:
(3) Northern Lights Black Spruce + (3) Cedarwood
(4) Lavender + (3) Cedarwood + (1) Vetiver
(3) Grounding + (2) Lavender + (2) Roman Chamomile
- Drink some Lavender Vitality. Did you know that Lavender Vitality™ taken internally can help reduce occasional anxious feelings and promote peaceful rest during times of occasional sleeplessness? Try adding a drop or two of Lavender Vitality to warm herbal tea as you settle down for the evening or add 2–3 drops to a vegetable capsule and take with water 30 minutes before bed.
- Be sure to get all of your little tasks done before you start your bedtime routine – take care of the dishes, make lunches for the next day, etc. This will free your mind to relax. Keep a notebook beside your bed for those last minute thoughts in your head. Don’t use your phone for this!
- Supplement your sleep with one of our supplements to encourage restful sleep like SleepEssence or ImmuPro, which both have Melatonin as an ingredient.
I hope these tips help you to get a good night’s rest. Sleep well! As always, if you’d like to get your hands on some high quality, pure essential oils – I’m here to help!